BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, February 5, 2010

Mrs. Witter, I have a question....

Storytime today went a little something like this...

Me: Okay, guys, come to the carpet. It's storytime.
Student 1: Mrs. Witter, can you tie my shoe?
Me: No, not right now. You don't need a tied shoe to listen to the story.
Student 2: Can you tie my shoe, too?
Me: No, I'll tie your shoe when you need to use it. Right now, you are sitting.

* I then begin to read a story. Children are picking junk off the carpet, playing with the filing cabinets, staring off into space...

Me: You know, class, if you can't listen to a story on the carpet, then we'll have to sit in our desks and listen to the stories there. You really need to pay attention to the story, because I'm going to ask you questions at the end. *blank stares*

* I continue with the story. Kids still aren't paying a bit of attention. Most of them are playing with their untied shoelaces. I'm getting ready to lose it....

Me: Excuse me. You are being very rude to the person reading the story. You are not respecting others, which is one of our school rules. It makes me very sad to see so many people not paying attention. When you become 1st and 2nd graders, you'll need to sit and listen quietly to a story being read.

* All the while, Student 3 is raising his hand with vigor, like he has something very important to add.... I give it a whirl....

Me: Yes, Student 3...

Student 3: Can you tie my shoelace?

Hm. Did I ever mention how much I love working with the little ones? It was just one of those days.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it!!!!
Gave me a good laugh!
I'd love to see our
elected officials try
your job for just one
day-heck, even 1/2 day.
Maybe then they would
properly fund education.

Mom

waitingforcider said...

adorable. adorable and annoying all at the same time... :)

Anonymous said...

You're a speech path.
How many more weeks
is it going to take to
implement the correct
pronunciation of the
letter "LLLLLLLLLLLL",
Mrs. Witter??? As a
first year teacher, I
would think that my
first objective would be
to have my students be able
to pronounce my name correctly!
HAHAHAHA!
Dad

jb.little said...

Well Dad, thanks for the advice.... I'll get on that right away. After all, the "L" sound is acquired at an older age than my student, but what a jerk kid for not being developmentally ready to produce my name correctly. What was he thinking? :)